Here's my strawberry pot...I always wanted one and a friend of mine gave me hers when she moved. I could not wait to plant it. At first I only had a few little berries, but they were unbelievably tasty. Now I am picking luscious fresh strawberries every day...
I love Ina Garten's recipes...I'm hooked on her show too...For Mother's Day I was given her Back to Basics Cookbook. I see more cooking in my future....
Here is Ina's recipe for Strawberry Shortcake, can't wait to try it...yum
Ina's STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE, DECONSTRUCTED
FOR THE SHORTCAKE
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cold heavy cream
1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water or milk, for egg wash
FOR THE STRAWBERRIES
2 pints fresh strawberries
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier liqueur
Sweetened whipped cream
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Sift the flour, two tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Blend in the butter on low speed and mix until the butter is the size of peas. Combine the eggs and heavy cream and, with the mixer still on low, add to the flour and butter mixture. Mix until just blended.
3. Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface. Flour a rolling pin and roll the dough ½-inch thick. You should see lumps of butter in the dough. Cut 16 biscuits with a two-inch plain round cutter and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Brush the tops with the egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the tops are lightly browned and the insides are fully baked. Cool.
5. To serve, toss the strawberries with the granulated sugar and Grand Marnier. Place the berries in martini glasses, top with a dollop of whipped cream, and serve with two small shortcakes on the side.
"If you have the time to marinate the strawberries for a half hour, they'll make a sauce that's delicious.""This dough is quite wet. Use lots of flour when you roll it out so the biscuits don't stick."