Saturday, January 12, 2008

mixed emotions....

That's right...even though the book signing was for my book Mixed Emulsions and In This House the whole event brought about mixed Emotions. There was a terrific turnout and I loved meeting and signing the books for everyone who came by.
I must say it was exciting to see all the books lined up in the window of Barnes & Noble...These are the payoffs for hours and hours of blood, sweat and tears. Ok...so maybe that is a bit dramatic...but there are physical demands on writers and artists...and with the mind bending and tight deadlines, stretching and walking and taking the self time can quickly fly out the window.

The talented and prolific artist Kelly Kilmer dropped by with her son Tristan. It was cool that during my discussion I was able to share the house she had created for In This House with the group. Kelly had used her house template to create a journal of her childhood and to explore her Irish roots. Just one of the many way this house template can explore the journey we're on. I had brought several of the houses to the event because they are so wonderful to see in person and Kelly's was one of them. I was moved when I saw my parents faces in the crowd, and the smiles on my families faces ...and I was touched to see some of my closest friends had dropped by to wish me well...or was it for the wine we shared afterwards... ? It was just cool...what can I say...

A friend is someone who likes you....
Anyone out there know who wrote that line?




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Miss!

It appears that you had ba great event and I'm so eager to hear more about it.

But I wanted to answer your immediate question; "A Friend is Someone Who Likes You" is the title of an old book by Joan Walsh Anglund, published in 1958. You really tweaked my memory when you mentioned it. She wrote very sweet, gentle books for children. From what Google says, it's still in print. It ends with the following:

Some people have lots and lots of friends…
Some people have quite a few friends…
but everyone…
everyone in the whole wide world
has at least one friend.
Where did you find yours?”

It sounds like you had a night full of friends, family and joy.

Kelly Kilmer said...

Thank YOU Angela for inviting me and for giving me the opportunity to be in your amazing art books!! You rock! :)

I also thought that it was so sweet that your whole family came!!! That's always the best support :)

Frank Fielder said...

Hi Angela,
I'm glad the signing went well and so many people came out to see you! Especially your parents and family. All your hard work most certainly does pay off, so keep that beautiful chin up!
I like you(can you tell?),so according to Joan Walsh Anglund that makes me your friend. I realise you don't know me, but you put so much of you on your website and blog, I feel like I do know you. I hope someday we can meet in person, and that you will think of me as a friend.

Love from Frank
PS: I just love the music you choose for Said & Done!

Anonymous said...

I got ITH for Christmas and love it. Wish I coulda gotten it signed by you Angela. I'm in Florida and don't travel at all. I love the last line in the book: "A house is made of walls and beams - a home is built with love and dreams." I've always felt that way about home but couldn't put it into words. Thanks. Love the buttons on the different houses. It reminds me of Buttons-n-Bows. lol.

Captainsnaps said...

I love the fact the you dedicated Mixed Emulsions to your Mom and Dad and printed a really nice picture of them too. So sweet!

Have you had time to play with Diana?

ND

forcryeye said...

Congratulations! I would imagine releasing a book is like letting a child out in to the world on its own. Thank you for sharing your work with us!

ann h said...

Hi Angela, I'm so happy that your book signing was a huge success and your family and friends were there to cheer you on.I know it must have been a very special and emotional night for you.Wish I could have been there too.Thanks for sharing.

Erika Tysse said...

oh wow, I would of so liked to have been there. Planning on being in Washington State all summer so maybe something will be happening down there that would make a trip to CA a must for us??? More book signings perhaps??

also, sent u an email a while back, did you get it? - erika

stilettoheights said...

I am so glad you had a wonderful turnout, it must have been so fulfilling.

you are beautiful by the way...you skin is fantastic.

(I am jealous)

Unknown said...

Angela, Do you ever plan to return to television? Do you care about people?
Would really love to see you work in projects that save peoples lives. Don't you want to make a difference in people's lives? Please help people improve their lives with your positive reinforcements, and simple kindness to those hurt souls. Sometimes just a few words of comfort can make all the difference in the world for those lost souls...