Saturday, September 03, 2011

a bird in your hand...


My Evidence Journal about the Alfred Hitchcock film "The Birds" was published in the latest issue of Somerset Studios Magazine --- September/October issue.


When I discovered Somerset Magazine's theme was HITCHCOCK for the 2011 fall issue...I thought...wow...I think I'll make an evidence journal, I certainly have access to the evidence.



You see, my sister Veronica played the role of Cathy in the Hitchcock movie about birds gone wild...so I asked her if I could borrow her script to make copies of the pages. 

 I started reading the script to decide what I wanted to use in my art and I have to admit it was totally engaging in a frightening way. I can see how Hitchcock must have been delighted when he was to direct this creepy story written by Daphne du Maurier and published in 1952.  I used pictures from the film, altering them in a variety of ways and ink blotches to enhance my take on the psychological thriller.

      
The magazine tells some behind-the-scenes stories that my sister shared with me...and there are 6 pages of my journal art.  However, they didn't print the whole journal so I have created a page where you can view all the pages of the journal I made...click here:  Hitchcock To purchase the magazine click here.

15 comments:

ooglebloops said...

This is absolutely wonderful! The bird in the little valise, the old photos and script. I have to admit, that movie frightened me for many years!!! The pic of Hitchcock and the baby IS priceless!Guess I'll be buying the magazine - TFS!

Diane said...

Hi Angela, I just read this article in Somerset yesterday--I loved it. Growing up, this was one of my all-time scary movies to watch. And since this was the age before DVR's and DVD's--it was a real treat when it was shown on TV. And how wonderful to have this personal memorabilia--a true heirloom.
P.S. I love the charcoal drawing by Alfred Hitchcock--how cool!

scb said...

Wow. Angela, that is powerful art. Incredibly well-done and evocative of the mood of the movie as well as giving the feel of what it must have been like working on a thriller such as that.

And the expression on your brother's face is priceless!

Thank you for sharing. Wow.

Seth said...

I saw this in Somerset and thought it was an excellent feature of a fascinating and very unique creation. I am so excited that you included a link to see the whole journal.

connie said...

this is amazng in person and in the magazine it looks just as nice. I went to your web site to see each photo and detail, wow... wonderful job!

ac said...

...and may I add...that's my gal pal Connie on the Cover with her beautiful art and an article inside...so proud of her...
http://artseat.blogspot.com/

Barbara said...

Wonderful job! Makes me want to see the movie again...

Gene Black said...

Interesting. I will want to spend some time looking at the "evidence file" The movie scared me at the time and I am still scared every time a bird flies at me.
Somehow I never made the connection that Veronica is your sister. I can't imagine how I missed that.

Little Leslie said...

I just saw it in my issue. Congrats! It was the best thing in the magazine.

David said...

I had no idea that was your sister. I have long admired her work too. Very cool.

Frank Fielder said...

I just saw a special on crows and viewed a website about crows and ravens. I think they are smart enought to do this, if they were to decide to. Corvids will fight to defend their young and each other, and will hunt and occasionally fight among themselves, but overall, it seems to me they would prefer to live in harmony with their neighbors. Now if we could just get people to behave this good...

Anyway, Happy birthday!

Love from Frank

Michel said...

This is the coolest thing I've ever seen! How great to have access to the script.
And by the way, Happy Birthday.

JoJo said...

That is the coolest thing! When I lived in Marin County, one of my fave places to visit was Bodega, up in Sonoma. One of my best friends, a huge fan of "The Birds" had me take him up there to see the old schoolhouse.

Pam McClure said...

Wonderful! And the birds....shiverrrrr. I think one of the scariest movies I saw as a child. I love birds but outside and not near me. :)

Pam

Anonymous said...

Now it all makes sense now. That is why "Cathy" looked familiar in the birds. I never put it together until just now. Wow thanks.