Saturday, July 08, 2006

tis a small world



It's the weekend already, and in LA...it's hot, hot, hot...
While waiting for my coffee to brew this morning I turned on the TV and caught the very end of 'Lemony Snickets A Series of Unfortunate Events'...I was dragged into watching it and I had forgotten that the end credits to this movie are my all time favorites. The line drawings mesmerised me once again, like they had the first time I saw them.
How cool are those credits!
So I type Brett Helquist into Google and go on to discover that it was Brett Helquist that illustrated my friend Jim Hart's book "Capt.Hook : The Adventures of a Notorious Youth" I had never made the connection...
The Hart's kids and my kids played many hours together when the filming of 'Hook' (which Jim wrote) was taking place...
what a small world it is...
I also found this very interesting website if you love words...'international words from a British viewpoint' World Wide Words I grew up in a British household, and so many of these phrases are familiar to me. If you are ever looking for words or phrases for your art...this might be a good resource to add to your favorites.

All in all it's been a pretty productive morning...can't wait to see what the afternoon holds...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it is a small world...

I also really liked the photo you posted of daisies. Please don't eat them...lol...Seeing your daisies reminded me of the name of a movie (Please Don't Eat the Daisies, 1960). Its cast included Richard Haydn who of course starred with you in a very famous film. Speaking of the British and of illustrations, a book written by Richard Haydn was animated 50 years later: The Animated Edwin Carp.

Sorry about the tangents! Have a great weekend!

:-)
-j

ac said...

I did not know Richard Hayden had written a book... I remember he was so sweet and kind...
I dig the 6 degrees of seperation thing...

tiffini elektra x said...

Oh I so agree those line drawings are so fantastic! I am going to have to study up on those British phrases they really would come in handy!

Amanda A. Brooks said...

i love the film hook. i only saw it when it came out on the big screen, but i do have the video. now i want to watch it again. i loved the whole concept of pan being an adult and having his own family. and julia roberts as tinkerbell-perfect casting. :) did you guys go on the set of hook? it must have been magical.
-amanda
:)